Spark Arts is pleased to host two artists for this year's ArtSpan SF Open Studios. Gallery hours will be extended 11am-6pm on November 5th and 6th. See below for more information on our featured artists.
Shannon D. Schmidt is an interdisciplinary artist and writer. Formerly based in Chicago, Schmidt now resides in the Bay Area. She has exhibited work at Paolo Mejia Gallery, the O’ Hanlon Center for the Arts, slow, The Helen Day Art Center, Spoke, the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art (MMCA), the Sullivan Galleries, 65 G R A N D, and other venues.
My work develops from a space of inquiry where social and political ideas merge with material processes, where the investigation and the pieces themselves fuse with histories, metaphors, symbols and the environments surrounding them. Spanning from personal experiences to research of environmental systems and philosophical modalities, I explore interconnected structures through drawing, painting, binding, knotting, winding, carving, language, video and sound. Using abstraction and fragmentation, I construct imagery and forms that investigate sensory experiences, connecting the physical with the psychological. Whether out of ink, paint, wire, yarn, fabric, wool or wood – the pieces that I produce reach toward an unorthodox or abject beauty that is bound by ritual, time, failure and imperfection. By linking together contrasting materials and physical environments, I create intersections between domestic practices and public social systems. In these overlapping moments, I seek to communicate metaphorical and abstract constructions between: object, body, memory and site.
Born in Odessa, Ukraine in 1953, Gregory started making oil painting and clay sculpture in 1967. Attended Artist Studios and Workshops. In 1975, he graduated from National Marine University, Odessa, Ukraine and later worked as Marine and Mechanical Engineer at different companies in Odessa and in Bay Area.
Throughout the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, he produced oil paintings, murals, theatrical stage sets and costumes, clay and wood sculpture. In 1991, he immigrated to San Francisco. Gregory became a member of ArtSpan in 2011.
List of juried group exhibitions, publications and Open Studios 2011-2016, San Francisco
- ArtSpan Open Studios (various locations)
- The Guerilla Show II and III at Arc Gallery
- 52nd LCAC Spring Art Annual Show in Woodbridge Winery in Lodi.
- ArtSpan Artists exhibition at San Francisco Travel Association.
- Masquerade at Arc Gallery – national exhibition (juror – Jack Fischer).
- San Francisco Open Studios Exhibitions at SoMart Cultural Center.
- 2013 – Juror’s Choice Award, was featured in 2013 Artspan Guide.
- Fresh Works – exhibition at Harrington Gallery in Pleasanton (Juror Elizabeth K. Mitchell)
- ArtSpan Benefit Art Auctions in San Francisco
- Online show at Manhattan Art International. Jurors: J. Bacchi, E. Rubin, R. Phillips.
- IMPULS - shows at Arc Gallery. Work was featured in ArtBusiness.com review of the show.
- 12 x 12 show at Modern Eden Gallery
- The Color of Thin Air – international online show at Sculpture Fix (sculpturfix.com)
- REPURPOSED MAGAZINE, issue II; work featured in online publication (www.repurposedmag.com)
- TINY and Delicious - exhibitions at Studio Gallery
- Re:Purpose – exhibition at 3rd Street Gallery
- WALKING AWAY – solo exhibition at Far Out Gallery.
- Wandering Remembrance – group show at DESTA Gallery in San Anselmo.
Also Artspan Hubs and other group shows at Hotel Triton, Big Umbrella Studios, Dogpatch Gallery, Live Worm Gallery, Triptych Restaurant, Java on Ocean Café, Café Arrivederci in San Rafael and other venues. Publications in local newspapers and in blogs.